Have you ever wanted to try making something other than pizza in your WPPO oven?
This delicious Toasted Cheese Sandwich is a great place to start because it has a short list of ingredients, is very easy to cook in a wood-fired oven, and is a crowd-pleaser for both adults and children. For a boost in flavor, try adding bacon, tomatoes, or your favorite dipping sauce!
- Artesian bread
- Sharp cheddar cheese
- Munster cheese
- Currant jelly
- Start by firing up your WPPO oven. Use smaller pieces of wood in a Lincoln Log fashion with some fire starters and light them on fire. Once those are going you can add some larger pieces of wood.
- Next, add your cast iron pan to the oven to preheat the pan. While that is heating up prepare your sandwiches.
- First spread some mayonnaise on one side of two pieces of artesian bread.
- Layer three pieces of cheese on the bread and then layer some sweet currant jelly on the cheese.
- Place the sandwich in the preheated pan and into the WPPO oven. Toast for about 5 minutes or until the bread is turning golden brown. Flip the sandwich and bake for about 5 more minutes while watching the bread to ensure it doesn’t burn.